simplicity in your life...serenity in your heart...may beauty and joy surround you today.

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Tales from...the 4th grade

what I've learned about teaching 4th grade so far...

1. If a shoe is unlaced, tie it. It's easier that way. It just is.
2. Band aids need a {home} out in the open.
3. 4th graders LOVE jokes - especially my Pink Panther one ;)
4. "Tales of the 4th Grade Nothing" by Judy Blume is a great way to kick off the year.
5. Don't write in cursive {yet} because it's about as legible as hieroglyphics.
6. There are two times when an administrator will come in your room - when the Internet is down and you're wingin' some math games or the first day you attempt reading 'stations'. sigh.
7. Having a "person of the day" is VERY important.
8. Super sentences are just that - super.
9. A jar of sharpened pencils kicks the pants off 30 kids sharpening all at the same time any.day.of.the.week ;)
10. I really CAN get 30 kids up and moving in an orderly fashion with {lots} and {lots} of practice.

...and most of all, I've learned that kids are kids and I teach kids...
4th grade isn't so scary after all.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sure you are just the best teacher. Can't wait to hear your pink panther joke! ;)

Misty said...

I.Love.This.Post!
I am sooooo happy that you are feeling better about your new adventure, and can't wait to hear how it goes that time goes on.
I am sure your students are LOVING being in your class!

P.S. Thanks for cheering for me!

Kristie said...

my fourth grader would LOVE to be in your class!!;)

you are changing lives!!

Crystal said...

I've said it a gazillion times and I will say it again....."YOU are awesome, my sweet friend!"

Sweet Blessings said...

I LOVE your new banner...so fun! And, I LOVE this post and your amazing sense of humor...God is GOOD and I can read it in every line your wrote! I just KNOW...you are going to be the fourth grade teacher her students never forget..because they will all totally LOVE YOU! Sweet blessings!

Amy said...

Cant wait to hear more about it!!!

4th Grade Nothing... that was one of my fav books...

I want to say that you sould blog more, because I LOVE reading your stories. But I wont say that. oooop. too late.

love ya!