What is the difference between vision and sight? Because if you had asked me that two months ago, I would have told you they are practically the same. Ryan can see. Yep. He's got the vision thing down.
Trust me now; vision and sight are not the same. And I had no idea how wrong I was!
Sight is the ability to see. Sight is what a doctor measures when they ask you to interpret those letters on a line from 20 feet away. The idea is, 20 correct letters at 20 feet away = perfect eye sight. Neat.
Vision is totally different. It's the way the brain senses and anticipates what the eyes take in. It's related more to perception and cognition than retina, rods, and cones. It's where sight meets reading...and math...and football...and the list goes on...and on.
It's where the brain and ultimately the heart, take the eyes over.
---
Ryan has been going through a series of treatments to {teach} his eyes to work better as a team; to 'beef' up his vision. He's been faithfully practicing his eye exercises every night and he's showing progress already which is SO very exciting! This vision trick though, it's still tough. It still takes a little while. It's still a struggle.
---
But I can't help it. There's a lesson in this. My heart is {tugged}. What is it, God?
---
Ryan, sitting at the counter with me opposite him. "Come on, Ryan, don't be a quitter" I say as he gives in to the last exercise. Him resorting to tears, grabbing at his head, "I don't like being like this mom...I don't like my brain not working".
*hand to the chest*
silence.
The honesty in those words stop me in my tracks. Have I taught my son to feel inadequate? Have I instilled a sense of inferiority {already}? And with tender hesitation I remind him that God has made him perfect.
---
I can't help but think of my own vision, or lack thereof. And so therein lies the lesson. It's as if God is screaming to me the parallel between Ryan's treatment and my walk with Him.
What can 30 minutes of 'daily training' do for my vision? Not my sight, but my vision? Well, I'm about to find out. And won't you join me?
Be thou my vision, oh Lord (and Ryan's too) :)
3 comments:
Your blog reduces me to tears every time I read it. I feel Ryan's pain. I was given glasses at 18 months. My sight is very poor, but I guarantee my vision is not. Not being able to see properly gives you the most amazing faith; Faith in God and faith in other people. I believe God gives us hardships to make us into the person he needs us to be. I think Ryan will be blessed with an unparalleled ability for compassion. Thank you for sharing his struggle. :D
beautiful.
simply beautiful ...
and yes, I'll join you!
Oh, what a heart-thinking post! So praying for Ryan as he continues on this journey, and you and JD as you walk with him through it....Im with you...on the 30 minutes of training a day....!!! Sending you hugs & love....Sweet blessings!
Post a Comment