I'm running out of space to store all of my "Mother of the Year" awards. There just simply aren't enough shelves and walls...
-
There's the time I accidentally sent Ryan to school with a bottle of wine in his backpack. Never mind that the wine was free from a wedding the Saturday before and never mind that I simply stuffed the contents of the entire car into Ryan's backpack when I was cleaning it. Whoops. I must have forgotten those 'contents' when I reminded Ryanie to grab his backpack on Monday morning. IT was pretty odd seeing a 7 year old grabbing a wine bottle around it's neck, scolding me for putting "alcohol in my lunch!". This little mis-hap could end with a Jeff Foxworthy's "Where's your sign?" but I think a Lisa McElroy's "Where will you hang {it}?" will suffice.
-
Or there's the time when he refused to eat his lunch and a para pro told me so. When I walked into the cafeteria to see what was up, Ryan was all up in sorts. So maybe, just maybe, I forgot to pack him a {new} lunch and he was staring at last Friday's (aka-sat in a hot car all weekend long) lunch. Whoops. "Where will you hang {it}?"
-
You should have seen Gage at his Christmas pageant a few nights ago. Never mind that he had his lines memorized. Or that he sang the songs beautifully-hand signals and all. The icing on the cake was when he gave JD the "rock on" sign when he spotted him and then began "machine-gunning" the audience. "Where, or where, for the love of mothers-of-the-year, will I hang {it}?"
-
Like I mentioned, mother.of.the.year. Seems to be a title that just hunts me down like Dog, the Bounty Dude.
-
It's me, though. It's, {us}. Jd wonders why I even care that Gage's Me-Board is just so or Ryan's education binder is tabbed and labeled. He laughs it all off but he wasn't the one...the one sitting in the chair at our Chiro. appointment yesterday when I got thee BIGGEST M.O.Y award yet. Let's call it a moment of silence. Silent shame. Silent I can do better. I'm not going to bother writing down all the grimy details; I'm just going to publicly hold myself accountable by typing it before my own eyes. It's never to late to do it right, right? (It's nothing MAJOR, but kinda is, you know?)
-
And so it is, Go BIG or go home spoken from a true Mother.Ofthe.Year. Some people make new year's resolutions. We are in the process of a total family makeover. I don't know if we'll survive. . .but 2012 will be different for us.
1. No sugar.
2. No TV (except 2 hrs. on non-school nights)
3. If there's something we want our children to know, we will embrace the responsibility to teach it.
I know this stuff is probably pretty basic for most people. I guess maybe we just fell off the wagon? Whatever the case, it may be a pretty bumpy road back to the straight and narrow. Stay tuned.
3 comments:
Lisa! I'm glad to see you blogging again! Don't be too hard on yourself though - every mother experiences the feeling of wanting to strangle their offspring when they do something uber-embarrassing or something gets missed when life gets busy. I know you are a GREAT mom!
P.S. Remind me to tell you the story of Caleb shouting out to his Papa "Pull my finger" while we were waiting to buy hunting tags in a loooooong line of people. Priceless I tell ya, priceless.
Oh, I so LOVE getting to read your blog again, and see all the ways God is at work! You always make me smile...and seriously..YOU are one of the most amazing Mom's I know..who just happens to have a housefull of boys and all the fun that entails :) Wishing you LOTs of luck with your new year resolutions, and smiling that you are taking time to make sure your boys live & enjoy life more than tv & sugar !!! Sweet blessings!
i guess i shouldnt be reading this in class... i Laughed Out Loud when i read the one about gagey shooting the audience:p just... so gage! lol!!! love it!
Post a Comment