_____________________________________________________
Updated
_____________________________________________________
I love your advice and I can honestly say that I'll be a better wife this week because I'm thinking long and hard about what you've suggested - so cool.
_____________________________________________________
We still have napkins from our 2000 wedding and I can tell you that our dinner guests laugh when we pull out the purple mementos. I smile a bit inside because I'm reminded of the simple 'advice' that was printed on them nearly 9 years ago...
"Love never fails" 1 Corinthians: 13
It sounds so cliche. Love never fails. I've failed at love plenty. And yes, I can say that love has failed me too. So does it really never fail?
I guess if I could give myself any marital advice it would be simple, yet complicated:
Love your spouse.
Love is always patient;
(even when you don't want to wait Lisa, wait)
love is always kind;
(if you don't have something nice to say, then don't say nothin' at all)
love is never envious or arrogant with pride.
(celebrate with JD- encourage and congratulate him often and thank God for his gifts)
Nor is she conceited,
(remember Lisa, that you are who you are because of the love you have in your arms- don't forget that)
and she is never rude;
(even when you are tired...and sick and tired...and irritated...and irrational...be polite)
she never thinks just of herself
or ever gets annoyed.
(how's about you try your hardest to be understanding and if you get annoyed, then politely explain why- put the needs of others before your own)
She never is resentful;
is never glad with sin,
(seek the truth in Christ with JD)
but always glad to side with truth,
whene'er the truth should win.
(find the truth in Christ and agree to live a new life together)
Love bears up under everything,
believes the best in all,
(turn toward - not away- from JD when the going gets tough and when the tough want to get going- talk to him because, after all, he is not a 'mind reader')
there is no limit to her hope,
and love will never fail.
1 Corinthians: 8-13
Love one another. Definitely easier said than done, but totally worth a try :)
__________________________________________________________
...what's the best marital advice that you have ever been given? Or if that doesn't really float your boat, then what's the best advice you could give a newly-wed couple?
I'm just curious. I mean, love is in the air. Do you feel it too?
Some people think that February breeds this trumped up "HallMark Holiday" that's all about frivolous spending and chocolate overdoses.... but I hafta tell ya that I'm glad to have some {pink} and {red} in the midst of all these February clouds (even though I am simply STILL in shock that the entire Garden Section at WalMart is saturated in Vday 'stuff').
So for now, yeah, I'm feeling the love.
I asked JD what he thought and here's what he said-
"I would have to say that marriage is about compromise" ... pause ... "and that it's okay to buy flowers if it's not Valentine's day".
Hmmm...what say you?
6 comments:
♥ try to leave work at work & if you have a {long drive} home (mine used to be 25 minutes), then unwind during that time, so you're at your best when you get home.
♥ be as passionate and committed to your marriage and your spouse as you are to your job and your cows
♥ give a little, take a little ... but always be willing to give
**good, thought-provoking post tonight Lisa... enjoy your month of {love} :)
Wow, Lindsay has some great advice.
And JD was soooo right about the whole Compromise thing. My advice would be these 2 things:
"Remember to make time for just the two of you."
Life gets so busy so quickly. We all play many roles on any given day. And by the end of those days we are usually exhausted. So find some time where you can be just YOU and he can be just HIM.
"Don't forget to KISS your husband"
OK. So this one seems kind of strange but hear me out. We ALL kiss our husbands right? Several times a day? You know that quick little peck before he goes to work or before you go to sleep at night? I am saying to remember to REALLY kiss your husband at least once a day. You know the way you used to kiss before life was so busy? I am not saying it is an "R" rated kiss in front of the kiddies, but maybe linger a little longer than a peck. Trust me it will do wonders. :)
OH and I asked Jason what his advice would be and he said this:
"it is good for a wife and husbands to keep up with hobbies of their own that they like to do by themselves and have a hobby they like to do together."
Okay. You're awesome. Thanks for this post and your advise.
Mmmm....It took me a long time to think of an answer to this one... :D But, I think my favorite piece of advice has always been to make time to spend alone together..time to reconnect, and just "be"! Also, our Pastor made of point in our pre-wedding meetings to tell us over & over to make sure we have dinner together...to actually, eat at a table with the tv off! (Well, 80 percent of the time, due to my Mr.'s job we don't get to eat together...and when he is home, we really do try to eat at the table...but, the tv is usually one...thankfully, our kitchen is not close enough to see it :D )
I just LOVE this post...I LOVE that you are seeking ways to keep growing "LOVE" in your relationship! So, Happy Month Of Love to you...Sweet blessings!
Perfect Add on to your original post...You make me smile...and how awesome was it that you used God's scripture then posted your response....It is true Love NEVER fails...(it just feels like it does sometimes!) Marriage is hard, hard work...mabye that is why it is so worth it in the end! All marriages have their good days & bad, smooth sailing & rough, happiness & pain...and I don't think I would want it any other way...because how would I ever grow closer to the man I LOVE if there weren't those storms on the way to the rainbows??!?! Your post today encouraged me...to work a little harder at making 1 Corinthians 13 a standard to live & grow by! Sweet blessings!
jeff usually buys me shoes instead of flowers. (this is halo, if you didn't already know it. i'm just being lazy and not changing my posting name.) and he doesn't wait until VDay to do it.
one thing i love about VDay right now is the way nate does it. all sweet and inclusive and innocent. everyone gets a valentine! and they are all from the heart.
i have no grand wisdom other than to say that marriage is a commitment we make every single day.
Post a Comment