simplicity in your life...serenity in your heart...may beauty and joy surround you today.

Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day

As far back as I can remember, Memorial Day has been a
BIG deal.
My grandparents were/are really patriotic.
They {ARE}
red poppies
and girls/boys state
and white gloves
and American Legion
and placing flags
and being in the firing squad.
Everything that {is}
Memorial Day {is}
my family.
Memorial Day has never meant camping.
It's never meant a day 'off'.
It's a day to remember.
A day to be thankful.
Some of my {best} memories are of my grandma and I
wrapping coffee cans with tinfoil in preparation for the BIG day.
My job was to put rocks in them so they wouldn't tip over.
We cut flowers from my grandma's garden,
my aunt's garden,
and from any vacant lot we could find.
I spent hours with my grandpa looking for the grave markers
of war veterans so that we could place a flag on them.
I remember walking for {days} looking...
My job was to carry the flags.
Now that I'm old{er}, I want the tradition to continue.
Only now, there are more helpers to place flags so we're not needed for that.
and I haven't seen a red poppy at a Safeway entrance in a loooong time.
But we still have a very special job on Memorial Day and
I wanted Ryan to be a little more involved this year:
and Gage too:I wanted them both to have something to place
on Olivia's grave.
I want them to know that even though
we cannot see Olivia,
we still love her very much.
Ryan wonders more this year.
He wants to know why Olivia died.
He wants to know why Jesus 'took' her.
...and when we say it's because He loves her...
this is the first year he's said

"Well I love her too and I want her back"

*sigh*


to some people, it might seem morbid to hang out in a cemetery.

But to us, it's completely normal.
because 'normal' to us means
remembering and thanking.

Even when it's hard.
Even when it's sad.
Even when we'd rather not.
And I can't think of anyone else
I'd rather {remember} and {thank} with.













but until the day comes

- when we can hold our baby girl in our arms again -

we'll not only remember her {here}

but in the breath of every day...

thanking God all the while

for making sweet Olivia part of our {life}.

11 comments:

Lindsay said...

As I read about kindness and goodness this weekend I continually thought of you.

This is the part that kept bringing me back to you...

"Once you've had a true glimpse of Gopd's tender heart, you will begin to understand that if the Savior says "no" to a crying parent, it is because He's saying "yes" to eternal kingdom profit."

So HUGE, yet so hard too.

What a BEAUTIFUL weekend you had ... love the photos, the flowers, the LOVE, the JOY & the PEACE that oozes out of each and every picture.

Love you friend!

Amy said...

It's not morbid, we hung out there for a while ourselves yesterday.

We left flowers on the graves of Dennis's grandparents, and my grandma's. The kids also put some on their great grandparents' grave. We drove around the whole cemetery looking at the American flags that are hung for the veterans. There are hundreds!! We drove and drove until we found both Dennis's grandpa's flag, and the kid's great grandpa's flag. I think its awesome that its a tradition.

Sweet Blessings said...

I am simply speechless...but my heart is overflowing for you. What an awesome tradition you are sharing with your boys...what a beautiful, beautiful tribute to your sweet Olivia, most of all...your words and pictures said it all....Love is forever! So, much Love to you today sweet friend, and everyday....many, many sweet blessings!

Katie said...

tears~this is so wonderful! I love how you are teaching your children to love and live. Thanks for your wonderful example!

Maeg said...

You are a wonderful person and a beautiful mom (inside and out!)

Doozyanner said...

Spending time at the cemetary on Memorial Day is part of our tradition too. I love to hear my parents' stories about their parents and grandparents. Oh and poppies are still being sold in some places--I got one for my great-niece and myself (in LaGrande).

Stacy B said...

I'm sitting here crying. Lovely post, Lisa! I can't think of any better tradition to share with your family.

morevores said...

I come from a NON Military family and feel a little left out of the beautiful traditions that you and your family do such a good job of upholding. What a beautiful day of remembering! I'm excited for your boys and what they will get from this. BTW a little over a week ago they had red poppies right here in our Safeway entrance, but your right...I hadn't seen them in a Loooong time.

Mrs. G said...

Nothing could be more right than spending time with loved ones - those that are with us and those that are in heaven waiting for us. You are planting the seeds of LOVE in their hearts with acts like these that will create a lifetime of memories for them.

Anonymous said...

This is precious....Tears!

Halo G said...

we remember, too.

this year for jesper's birthday, nate asked "how did he die?" so i explained as best i could, considering we don't really know what happened.

when nate was little and would say, out of the blue, that he missed his brother and wanted him back, it did and still does take my breath away and bring tears to my eyes. it cuts to the quick in one swift heartbeat.

but then i remember, he has a brother to want back, i GET to share jesper with his siblings, we were blessed by jesper's presence--even though it was far too short.

and i wait for the next question. as hard as it is and as sad as it makes me, i am glad that nate is still interested, that he still asks, that his awareness is growing. this means i've done my job, right? he loves a brother he will never see in this life. i can only hope willow will know him in her own way, too.