We broke out the home movies tonight. It was the first time each of the boys saw their own birth - and don't worry, it was G-rated :)
It was weird though - experiencing those moments - and then watching them on TV. It felt like an out of body experience completely. My eyes were glued to the tube and I kept thinking, "Wait a minute...that's not how I remember it".
---
Like when JD's mom told me that a '10' on the pain scale was "getting your arm ripped off" when really it was 'tears'. I was wondering why the graphic next to a '10' was a sad face, and not a person in hysterics, missing an arm. Turns out, I could have had that epidural like 9,000 hours earlier than I got it. The video missed that.
---
Like every time JD slapped the cam in my face and said "whelp...what do you have to say?" and I lay there muscling my way through contraction after contraction.
---
Or like the part when after the doc said it was 'time', I threw up for 1/2 an hour.
---
It missed the part when our nurse stopped mid-delivery, stood from her stool, and lectured me about worrying...practically grabbing me by my fish cheeks and insisting that, "nothing bad is going to happen to this baby, now PUSH". Yup. The video missed that endearing moment.
---
What's weird is what the video DID capture.
---
I said absolutely nothing.
Nothing.
Nada.
I did.not.speak.a.word.
Through two deliveries...countless nurses...one great doctor...and a loving (and seemingly annoying narrator) husband...I said not.one.word during the laboring and delivery of both my sons.
---
So what does that 'say'?
---
Ryan caught on quick. While we were watching, he turned to me and said "Wow, mom. You were scared". He's a pretty observant lil bugger. And of course, Gage echoes a "yeah...scared". Perhaps the most insightful, though, was that annoying narrator of mine. :)
"This is your trauma, Lis. I think you were in shock for most if it."
---
Um, yeah. (palm to forehead)
---
What I thought would get me all geared up and confident that I can do this again, turned out to send me right back into that shell of a quiet place. The place with no words. The place where everything happens in super slow motion. It's a place where it's hard to speak and even harder to breathe. I'm knocking on the door of that place asking if I can come in and what I want to hear is, "No...you're not needed here".
---
Hoping in faith is my first step. Goal #1: speak this time.
6 comments:
Sometimes it's easy to think about what should/could happen when you aren't in that moment...
You are strong!
You are brave!
You can do this!
And even if you don't say a word until that beautiful boy is in your arms it will be ok!!
Praying! Love you!
(side note: my word verification this morning "prega" :)
Lisa you are an amazing woman.
You are brave and strong.
You can do this again and it will be amazing.
I believe that our fears are gifts that we can't understand.
It is our fear that helps bring us closer to Him.
Take Peace in knowing that God will be holding you through each and every contraction, every breath, every push.
He will have His hands upon you to wipe away the sweat and tears.
It will be Him that will whisper to you in those silent, painful moments "you can do this, my precious daughter."
He has blessed you with a wonderful husband and family and friends that would do anything for you. You are not alone.
AND when you look into that beautiful baby boys eyes, you will find Him there.
However you bring this baby into the world, silent or not so silent, it will be beautiful.
Hugs to you sweet friend!
Crazy, I remember when you showed me the video of when you had Ryan.
I remember thinking to myself:
"wow, she's not saying anything. JD's talking, why isnt she answering? she's so good at this, she's not even screaming. maybe child birth isnt that bad. maybe i could do it?"
Boy was I way off!
You have got to be the strongest woman I know.
I hope you have your pain scale down before you go in this time. :)
I so just say AMEN to every word Crystal wrote! I know, so know that God is leading you, guiding you, and taking you every minute of the way through this new soon to be gift! And, my prayer daily is for HIS Peace! Love you sweet friend..and so thankful you are sharing this new chapter with us! Sweet blessings!
speechless. [that's me right now ... not you :)}
and am on my knees praying for you.
I have this little saying on my desk ... right next to my angle of patience ...
Proverbs 3:5
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Love you friend ~ and so does He ... even when you're quiet.
I love you girlfriend and I am praying for you! So glad you shared this.
Post a Comment