simplicity in your life...serenity in your heart...may beauty and joy surround you today.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

bloomers; bloomie; bloom-a-luff-a-gus

that's me. for now. a bloomer...bloomie...and bloom-a-luff-a-gus.

this time last year, i was bloggin' about this dream to run a marathon. bloomsday isn't a marathon but it may as well be (from my point of view).

and so time went on...and i had a sweet little baby boy...and still, tucked away in the far corner of my mind...held on to the dream of running bloomsday.

but i let go of it. all in good time, i thought. all in good time.

but candy didn't let go...and she convinced...encouraged...prodded...called...even signed us both up AND picked up my race packet :) gotta love candy! i must admit though, i was secretly wishing she'd cancel!

and now i can say, without a shadow of a doubt, i am a bloomer. blooming slowly but surely. a bloomie.

jd thought we'd walk the whole thing. so did jeff. heck, so did i! to tell myself the truth, i was relieved to hear that they have a sweeper truck that picks up the slow pokes. that'll be me, i thought, gettin' swept up! who runs in a race 8 wks after having a baby? certainly not me!

the race started and i freaked out - was afraid i'd get trampled to death. the excitement kicked in my endorphins or some darn thing because before we knew it, candy and i were high-fivin' the 2nd mile marker! we had finished the first thirdish of the race in 20 minutes!!!! that's a 10 minute mile and that's AMAZING (for us).

we continued to jog...walk...jog...walk until doomsday hill. after mile 6, we just didn't have a whole lot left in us and ended up walking a lot more than jogging. we did, however, pick it up when we heard the rocky theme song and saw the finish line.

it was definitely an experience.
it was definitely FUN
it was definitely worth it (and worth doing AGAIN)...
definitely worth {blooming} and i have the shirt to prove it! :)

crossing the finish line

7 comments:

candy said...

All I can say is SOOOOO much fun!!! And for the record I almost let you cancel, but deep down I knew that we would regret not doing it. I'm so glad we did and so proud of the both of us. Same time next year. Unless we get all crazy and do Portland in October. haha. There's one in Leavenworth in October too. :) Thanks Lis, I wouldn't have done it without you. Really...

Amy said...

I love being a bloomie! I am so glad you didnt bail. Even if I ran the race alone, I dont feel alone because I have someone to share the experience with. So cool!

And I cannot wait to beat my record next year. I have already signed up for 2 more runs (5K's) this month and look forward to doing more this summer.

So I have about 363 days to perfect my finish line pose for next year....

Sweet Blessings said...

Whooohooooo to YOU! Way to go...how very inspiring you are...and what a sweet, sweet memory to add to Jax's birth year :D Hope you have an amazing week! Sweet blessings!

Crystal said...

Way to go Lisa and Candy!!! I totally knew you would do better than you thought you would. AND you gals did awesome! So proud of you friend!

Marcee said...

Wow Lisa, that is so awesome!!

Kristie said...

so proud!! Way to go!!

Lindsay said...

I love the crossing the finish line photos ... I think you, me, Kristie, and Stacy B. should all wear our shirts out to dinner or something sometime :)

Cheering for you ... what a GREAT thing to your list of {being 30}