simplicity in your life...serenity in your heart...may beauty and joy surround you today.

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

What Ryan is Teaching Me

I have to be honest. There's a struggle in my heart right now. My little man is getting ready to take the kindergarten plunge and I'm not entirely convinced he's ready.



Don't get me wrong. I have myself one smart boy. If you've ever talked to him, you know that he's smart. He can write his name. He can cut along straight and curved lines. He knows his letters and he knows his numbers. He can read three letter words. He can count beans and fruit loops...and rocks and screws. He can classify shapes and knows his colors. He can build like noone else, lemme tell ya. His vocabulary amazes me and his curiosity intrigues me. He's funny. He's witty. He's personable and he literally lights up a room.



So if he's ready for kinder on 'paper', why am I not yet convinced? Why do I feel that he's not {quite} ready?



Maybe it's because I don't want to stifle his curiosity with benchmarks.



Maybe it's because I want him to question things when he feels the urge to.



Maybe it's because I don't want to let him go into the wide, wide world and have it swallow him up.



Maybe it's because size-wise, he's small.



Maybe it's because I'm afraid he'll fail and every single fiber of my being, wants him to THRIVE.



Maybe it's because he has a hard time sitting still during story time.



Maybe it's because I don't want to push him too hard.



Maybe it's because I want him to fall in love with learning and right now his {loves} are a bit narrow.



Maybe it's because I can't picture him sitting at a desk for very long.



Maybe it's because I'm afraid that he won't like it.



Maybe it's because I'm afraid I'll make the wrong decision and it will affect the rest of his life.



Why does this have to be so ... hard?



A good friend suggests that for now, I have to PUSH (Pray Until Something Happens) hard.



PUSH.



PUSH.

And in the mean time, there's something that Ryan is teaching ME...

You have to start somewhere.

There are a lot of routes to the same destination
and sometimes, it's best to just dive in and give it a try.


School will be a lot like flight:
there will be highs, but they are not
appreciated without the lows.


And to get in the air, you have to start on the ground.


You'll get close to the finish and so long as you're flying, you know you'll hit your target.

You'll get closER to the finish



but you'll never get there until you take off.

My little man is growing wings and I'm PUSH-ing as hard as I can.

2 comments:

Sweet Blessings said...

Oh sweet girl...your post made my eyes mist up...Your LOVE for your little guy is so strong...He is blessed to have you as his Mama! God made him...he made him the inquistive, bright, imaginative, sweet, amazing little guy he is...and HE is going to guide your heart to the right answer...because HE LOVES both of you sooo much! Praying your LOOOOONNNNNG week is filled with many Sweet blessings!

Lindsay said...

Praying, praying, praying because I KNOW God will give you peace about the decisions ahead.

You and JD are doing an amazing job with your boys and as they grow and learn and change, they will come to appreciate all the prayer you've surrounded them with through the various stages of their lives.

I'm continuing to pray that God will direct you to exactly the right place that Ryan needs to be :)