There is nothing quite like death. It's sobering. It's world-stopping; It's pain-staking, heart-pounding, breath-taking. It changes a person for the rest of their natural life. And there's nothing quite like having to bury your own child. I can say with all my might, that the death of our child has made me a completely different person. A different {kind} of person. Some of this new {kind} is good - I have a new lens for life that appreciates the small, minute things- but don't let that fool you. There are moments when this lens is fogged with fear, regret, and over-protection. Good. Bad. Ugly. This life of mine, after death- well, it's a different {kind} of living.
---
And after that {moment} in death, I never thought I'd be in a {moment} of life, like this.
I never thought that these bedrooms in our house would be...full of live, laughing, loving children. I can't tell you how many nights I spent on my knees- wanting nothing more than to have someone else in my home take a breath. JD worked nights after Olivia died and at the time, our home in the evening was a very, very lonely place. I chose my knees over my TV - and the comfort of tears over talking. I spent {days} in Psalms, crying out.
---
Fast forward to Friday. I had an ultrasound to check for some genetic diseases (like downs and trisomy). I was nervous - nervous to get 'news', nervous to see a stopped heart, just nervous. It was the first appt JD had ever had to miss - So I roped my friend, Crystal, into coming with me just in case. Turns out, the baby looks perfect.
---
I expected to see a blob. A baby blob- hopefully with a beating heart and some movement.
---
I did NOT expect to see a fully formed child already. I did NOT expect to see 10 tiny fingers and 10 tiny toes. And I certainly did NOT expect to see this child of ours sucking his thumb (just like both his brothers). We didn't get to peek at any gender parts, but heck, I'm used to saying 'he' around these parts :)
I think it's pretty safe to say that despite the surprise...the 'holy cow I can't believe I'm pregnant how in the world will I be able to do this' feeling...I think despite that, it's safe to say that I am in heart-breaking, life-changing, jaw dropping love at first sight.
---
Can it be possible? Can it be possible that {life} can change our lives just as much as {death}?
8 comments:
so moved by your openness about this subject...thank you for sharing your heart...I'm so so sorry....
WOHOO for the ultrasound picture!!! Totally stoked for you guys!!! And just in case it is a "he"...three boys TOTALLY manageable:)
Praying for you guys!!!
I can hardly wait! And knew from the day you came and told me that this was another one of God's precious gifts to you!!!
Love you!
You are such an amazing person Lisa. The pain and loss that you and JD have experienced is truly heartbeaking. I am so sorry.
ALL of your children are blessed to have you and JD for parents.
That precious little one sure does look "cozy!" I think she/he might be craving a Six Dollar Burger (for $4) :)
Love to you friend!
Your words bring tears to my eyes. You are so brave and strong.
Congratulations on God's little Miracle growing inside of you!!
I so believe that life can be as life changing as death...but, in a good way :D I know without a doubt that God has GREAT things ahead for you...or should I say a GREAT new, precious child...a true gift! After the storm that's happened in your life, there is a beautiful rainbow coming!!! Praying daily for you, JD, & the boys! :D Sweet blessings!
Wow...*tears*...thanks for sharing, Lisa! I am always so encouraged by your words and your relationship with the Lord! I am praying for you {all} :)
Love you!
Lisa,
One of my greatest gifts from God was the opportunity to be home when you and JD received the news about Olivia. I witnessed the place that you were in...I witnessed your struggle...but most importantly I witnessed the transformation that you went through. The person [both you and JD], the couple, the parents that you became as a result of Olivia's Death.
"If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!"
Don't live in fear...live in awesome wonder of what God has in store for us. Your life is but a shadow of what is to come.
I was studying Leviticus on the plane on my way home to see Sarah when I came across a poem that made me think of you. It was originally done by Robert Robertson. I've changed the words.
Bold infidelity, turn pale and die,
Beneath this stone Olivia's ashes lie;
Say is she lost or saved,
If death's by sin, they sinned for she lies here;
If heaven's by works, in Heaven she can't appear.
Reason--Ah, how depraved.
Reverse the Bible's sacred page, the knot's untied.
She died, for Adam sinned; she lives, for Jesus died.
I have learned much from Olivia. If only to expect God's gifts to be perfect and to look for them in the strangest of places.
What an amazing journey you are on. Love reading it.
Post a Comment