Potato Field: image courtesy Getty Images
Everything, every tiny little thing, happens for a reason. Often times when JD and I can't decide which movie to rent, we peruse the Blockbuster website and watch trailers until something strikes our fancy.
"Faith Like Potatoes" struck my fancy. It's like the movie had a golden halo around it with the subscript, rent me. We also rented "The Last House on the Left" which was one I couldn't even get through. We made it till the woods scene and I finally told JD to shut it off. I just couldn't take any more of that movie. Don't rent it. Just don't.
But "Faith Like Potatoes" was different. Do rent it. Do.
It's about a Scottish African farmer who is trying to make it against all odds. His life is falling apart...his family is falling apart...and his farm is drying up. He goes to church one morning and God shakes him back to life. Long story short, he decides to give his life, and his farm, to the Lord. The entire tale is one of obedience and faith...of perseverance and scrutiny and a Lord that never ever gives up. It's about an ordinary man living an ordinary life with an extraordinary God in charge. He's not immune to tragedy. He's not living without fear. He's human and is constantly reminding himself that he needs God's help...his guidance and love...and on a daily, minute by minute basis.
I'm going to ruin the movie for you so if you're interested in renting it, stop reading now :)
At the end of the film, Angus (the farmer) decides to plant potatoes in the middle of a devastating African drought. Nothing is growing and everyone is scared. The thought of potatoes almost makes the village laugh, but Angus faithfully and obediently plants the crop despite the scoffs.
Simeon, Angus' right hand, eagerly awaits the harvest as well. In fact, he tries to pry open the earth just to take a peek at the crop before it's ready. Angus, on the other hand, waits patiently for the day of harvest...for God's promise to be revealed...and requires Simeon to do the same.
The field, covered in dry stalks and puny leaves tells a grim story of what could be beneath the surface. If you glanced over top the farm, you might guess the earth beneath holds no more than weeds and rot. The above-ground crop looks a lot like my garden in August after two weeks when I realize it's nto been getting any water - only worse. The harvest looks grim but with potatoes, there's no real way to tell until they are dug up.
When it's finally time, together, the two men unearth the largest potato crop Africa has seen in quite some time and they dance before the Lord.
----
I can't help but find myself in this story; and maybe you can find yourself a little too.
I've been comparing this idea of the potato to this little life in side me. On the outside, it's scary- I might even say at times, dreary. I look at this belly and see it bounce around and can't help but think that at any moment, the movement could stop. At any moment, this fruit of my womb could be bouncing around with his maker instead of with me. I can't help but notice those 'dry' moments of desperation when I'm on the outside....seeing what's on the outside.
But often times I forget that the real fruit - the real fruit is on the inside and the promise of hope, well, that's there as well but it's hard to see and right now, it's hard to even remember. So when I say to myself, "Have faith like potatoes', I'm really thinking...have faith, Lisa.
Have the kind of faith that doesn't rely on what's happening all around you. Instead, focus on what is happening IN you. IN your heart; IN your soul; and yes, even IN your belly.
Have the kind of faith that doesn't require peeks...and prods...but that can be patient, knowing God's promise is about to be revealed.
Have the kind of faith that knows no matter what happens, it's happening because glory will be unearthed and have the kind of faith that is humbled before the Lord.
Have faith...like potatoes.
And don't be surprised if I just happen to lovingly refer to this little boy as my sweet little potato from now until eternity because EVERYTHING....even blockbuster rentals....happen for a reason.
4 comments:
I hope they have this movie for me to rent when I go after school today :)
Love you guys .... and your little potato! Continuing to pray the 23 Psalm over you ... again and again!
We all LOVED that movie!!!
Oh...sweet girl...once again I'm misting up as I read your post! Great, great post...and now I can't wait to rent that movie...guess I'll have to wait for Linds to finish with it first :D Most of all...I can see God is totally whispering to you over & over again...have faith! And, I am praying that same thing over & over again for you (because it's much easier to pray that for someone, when you're not the one in the situation!) I so can't wait to meet your little potato...Sending you a big hug today! Sweet blessings!
Its now in my Netflix Queue. Should have it by this Friday. We are excited to watch it. ;)
Post a Comment