I have to admit that I'm PSYCHED spring is upon us. Sure, sure, the weather is great and I certainly am enjoying my new deck pots and all the things sprouting in my yard. But to be honest, spring brings a kind of joy that can be bought...at YARD SALES!
For me, yard saling (which really isn't a word but I hope you know what I mean) ranks right up there with scrapbooking and long walks on the beach. Every Saturday morning, my darling husband lovingly indulges my odd obsession by packing our kids into the truck with a 'breakfast to go' (way too early in the morning I might add) and starts us on our usual 'route'. He's my driver. Isn't that sweet? We stop for coffees and hit the major subdivisions first. Then, we consult our trusty Nickle Add, which offers an array of 'out of town' sales.
This last Saturday we scored BIG. We bought a chest freezer (something we've been hunting for since last spring) for $75. It's practically brand new and works great. I also got some high-end (Gymboree and alike) polo style shirts for Gage at a whopping $.50 each. What's more, is the highlight of the trip- a COPPER rock fountain for a mere $5. The poor lady I bought it from had "no idea why I paid $85 for this brand new". Well, I'd be delighted to take it off your hands...
Some might call yard saling 'white trashish'...or even 'gross' but to me, it's an adventure. If you've never tried it, you really should. Heck, I'll even give you a few tips:
Lisa's FREE yard saling tips:
1. Don't go looking for anything specific. You'll only go home disappointed.
2. Look for the potential in items rather than the value.
3. Compare the price of slightly used items to brand new- it really pays off to buy things used!
4. Look for stains on clothing- esp baby clothing- it's not worth the money (even at $.50 each) if there's a stain.
5. Look for out of season items. Christmas items are BIG at yard sales and we often glance over them. Give them a chance and you'll be elated come December!
5. Look for a 'heck of a deal'. Even if you'll never use it, I'm sure you can think of someone who will. Or do like I do and re-sell it in your own yard sale at a higher price :)
6. Think about what size your kids WILL be in, rather ARE in. It pays to think ahead...
7. Have fun- for crying out loud, buy a coffee and think of it as a treasure hunt! :)
I have to add that Ryan now tells me "Mama, let's go yard saling". Is he my kid or WHAT? And he loves to go with me. Everyone laughs at his comments, "We don't have these" and "Mama, check this out. This is awesome". He keeps telling me that he wants to find a remote control boat at a yard sale. We look at every single one and so far, we've struck out. But I always add, "There might be one at the next yard sale". I dunno. Maybe I'm teaching him to be patient. I sure hope so.
1 comment:
One of the things I LOVE about you is that you LOVE yardsales!! Dennis and I always enjoy running in to you guys. Its so funny. I cant wait until we get a free saturday to hit some good sales. I heard from another source that this last weekend was awesome. Lucky! I was out of town.
Post a Comment