simplicity in your life...serenity in your heart...may beauty and joy surround you today.

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Awe. Isn't that sweet?

It's almost as sweet as when my husband surprised me with a 357 smith and wesson ... THAT was a day I'll never forget- more importantly, a lesson in self-defense that I wish I could.

"I bought you something, honey". It's just not every day when your hub comes home and utters those words, you know? Sends a kind of shiver up a girl's back.

My husband, he's funny. He gets these ideas in his head- things that he WANTS me to have and then all of the sudden...I get something pretty off-the-wall. By no means anything fancy and wrapped with a pink bow - but the look on his face as he hands it over - well, let's just say that a pink bow pales in comparison.

Most people who know our family, know that JD is quite the swindler. He finds these amazing 'deals' and as long as he has a private 'arm' to trade, he comes out on top. Don't get me wrong, he's not a private arms dealer, but I have to admit that his investments in guns do pay off from time to time.

So today, I got this:

And I must admit, it took a few days to warm up to the deal. As the only girl in my family with three older brothers, I grew up on these machines and (ahem) they bring out a sort of wild side of my personhood. I was a bit apprehensive to jump on this four-wheeler. Maybe because I'm all grown up, don't you know? All 'mom' and such. I must admit, though, it took one push of the accelerator to take me right back to 1992. I LOVE the feel of wind in my hair and the quick twist of a handle bar. Call me crazy.
To me, this is what this picture says: "Son, it's for you...it's for your childhood...it's why I work so hard...to see this smile:" I'm not sayin' money buys happiness, by any means. But there's something about wanting to pass down the same memories of your own childhood, you know?



And I'm sorry. That's just a gift that can't be bought (or traded). I love the way JD has invested in memories...and how it includes everybody in our family.

3 comments:

Doozyanner said...

Oh what fun! You guys will have a great time playing with your new toy. :)

Lindsay said...

How exciting! Enjoy every minute of it :)

Crystal said...

This post makes me smile! You have such a wonderful family. Looks like JD made a good call on that 4wheeler! Lots of fun memories to be made there. :)