simplicity in your life...serenity in your heart...may beauty and joy surround you today.

Monday, March 9, 2009

A Day for Mistakes

In my opinion, one of the toughest parts of being a teacher is knowing when kids are making mistakes, and {letting} them.

My nature is to swoop in and point out the {obvious}, talk about ways to {fix} the problem and then figure out how to do it {better}; to anticipate problems and prevent them, that's my job.

Today was "Erosion Experiment Day", or what I like to call,
"E" Day.
It's probably one of the toughest teaching days
all year long.

It's a day when we identify factors that affect erosion through experimentation - a day to conduct the experiments my kids have {designed} in order to show how their erosion agent works. It's a day when a lot of learning goes on - but it literally drives me nuts.

...a day when, "if the heat lamp won't melt the glacier fast enough, then perhaps a blow drier will do"... all the while, I sit back and {let} it happen...knowing that it will literally blow the melt water channel away...

...a day when kids get to learn from their mistakes and have a 'do over' .
A day when I try my darnedest to {let} it happen....a day when, in the midst of what feels like complete and utter chaos,
learning is happening...

A day
... when what was expected to happen, actually did ...
... when what was expected to happen, didn't ...
... when we didn't know what to expect ...
Today was a rough day
but I am amazed at what can happen in my classroom when I {let} it.
... kinda reminds me of what God can do in my life if I {let} Him...

2 comments:

Sweet Blessings said...

LOVE this post...LOVE that you are a teacher that lets kids be, grow & learn in their own ways...Most of all I'm so happy to know you! Hope your evening is filled with many, many Sweet blessings!

Lindsay said...

What a GREAT day for learning ... LOVE IT!! You are doing a fantastic job at letting kids be kids and learn .... just like we do :)

I'm pretty sure I'm learning from mistakes over and over each day :)

So nice to catch up yesterday - hope we can do it again soon! :)

Have a GREAT day!