simplicity in your life...serenity in your heart...may beauty and joy surround you today.

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Happy Birthday JD




The boys got dad some super cute bird houses :)

Happy birthday to one amazing husband...one amazing dad...and one amazing friend! JD, I'm so glad that you were born on this day and today, I celebrate YOU. I read this poem yesterday and it painted the perfect picture of who YOU are:






Build Me a Son by General Douglas A. MacArthur





Build me a son, O Lord, who will be strong enough to know when he is weak, and brave enough to face him self when he is afraid; one who will be proud and unbending in honest defeat, and humble and gentle in victory.
Build me a son whose wishbone will not be where his backbone should be;a son who will know Thee- and that to know himself is the foundation stone of knowledge.
Lead him, I pray, not in the path of ease and comfort, but under the stress and spur of difficulties and challenge. Here, let him learn to stand up in the storm; here, let him team compassion for those who fall.
Build me a son whose heart will be clear, whose goals will be high; a son who will master himself before he seeks to master other men; one who will learn to laugh, yet never forget how to weep; one who will reach into the future, yet never forget the past.
And after all these things are his, add, I pray, enough of a sense of humor, so that he may always be serious, yet never take himself too seriously.
Give him humility, so that he may always remember the simplicity of true greatness, the open mind of true wisdom, the meekness of true strength.
Then I, his father, will dare to whisper, "I have not lived in vain."





I am so proud to call you my husband and blessed beyond belief to call you the father of my children. When I read this poem, I can't help but think that it is your mother' and father's prayer come true - and I can hear your voice in it as well, as you grow your own 'men'. You are building a legacy of love through your life and I am honored to live it with you. You are truly an amazing husband, friend, and dad.









Happy Birthday to ... an amazing husband who takes the time trim cut grass from a precious grave...









...who loves me even when I smell like a match...









...who loves his son when he bites the couch...









...and who lovingly shoots a Red Ryder BB Gun 200 million times a day...









to a man whom I simply adore, Happy birthday.









All my love,
Lisa









(ps- JD's birthday is really March 5th but I wrote this last night and don't know how to change the date at the top)




7 comments:

Sweet Blessings said...

Happy Birthday to your "ONE"! What a beautiful tribute to him...Hope his day was filled to overflowing with ALL things good...and the best birthday cake ever! Sweet blessings!

P.S. I loved the poem...Amazing, inspiring, and a perfect pray for your boys!

Katie said...

Happy Birthday JD!

Lindsay said...

Happy Happy Birthday JD :)

May your next trip around the sun be BRIGHTER than ever!!

** GREAT poem!!

Maeg said...

Happy Birthday JD...I'd like to second Lisa in saying that you are a great friend.

Crystal said...

Happy Birthday JD from Jason Lee

Anonymous said...

What a sweet post!
I hope you guys had a great day celebrating!

Sweet Blessings said...

It's me again...I just have to tell you I love the pictures you captured...especially the one of Gage painting..what a good Mama & Daddy he has to let him get into the paint....:D It so makes me smile! And, that cake...there were a LOT of candles on it...Praying JD's day was over the top! Sweet blessings...

P.S. Maybe he got a new "Red Ryder" himself..ha, ha