simplicity in your life...serenity in your heart...may beauty and joy surround you today.

Friday, July 25, 2008

Ruby and all her Glory

Meet Ruby. A small creek in southeastern Washington. I guess this spot is best referred to as "JD's stompin' grounds". His grandparents homesteaded in this area and so it's always been a family camping tradition. Anyway, this is Ruby: She's named after her ruby colored waters. When we fish, JD always tells me to look for the tea-colored water. It's really a dark red color- I've never seen anything like it.
Here we are unloading all our junk. Boy, when you camp with kids it quamillionths the amount of stuff you have to haul along.
This is Ruby and my boys :)
Ryan getting outfitted with his holster and knife :)
A Ruby Creek fish...brook trout.
This was the happiest Gage was the entire time. Who knew that all he wanted was an apple :)

My favorite part of this trip was listening to JD and Ryan talking around the campfire. Ryan was shadowing his dad four times as much as normal during this trip. Here are a few of my favs:

Hey dad, can I cut this tree down?

Hey dad, we need to gut that fish (wasn't even reeled in out of the water yet!)

Hey dad, where are all the birds at? (sleepin') Where? (in the trees) Oh, well when it gets morning time, we need to shoot them with my bear arrow!

Hey dad, what's up in the sky? (nothin' right now) No, Jesus is.

Hey dad, let's go for a ride on the motorcycle (multiply this by 100,000,000,000,000,000,000)

And the sweetest thing ever was that JD sat there by Ryan and made him a home-made bow and arrow (Ryan calls it a bow and bear arrow). Then, they both proceeded to shoot pine cones out of the trees. Some definite sweet moments.

On another note, my camera took a swim in Ruby creek so it might be a while before I have more pictures to share :) It's drying out right now so with any luck, I'll be back in business (hence the no post-first-fish pictures) ...

5 comments:

morevores said...

That looks like such a beautiful place to hang out, I'm so glad that J.D. gets to pass on his childhood memories to his own boys.
My favorite picture is the one where Ryan and Gage are sitting together on their little "Tot spot" chairs. Gage looks so big and more and more like his big brother. What great memories!!!

Crystal said...

This is a great post! Ruby creek looks like a great place to spend the day fishing and just hanging out with your toes in the water. Love the pics!

Gpa Jack said...

I had a great time!

Amy said...

Didnt you say 9 days???? That was just 2 days ago!!! What happened?

Stacy B said...

Hey Dad! I love it! Sounds like JD has a shadow, how lucky. I can't believe the size of that fish that you caught in that little creek! Wow!