So I saw this book on my gma's coffee table and like I always do, judged it by its cover. It looks scary- I started reading and it wasn't until I-don't-know-when that my gma walked in the bedroom where I was reading and saw me bawling- the kind of bawling that you can't hide even if you tried; the total tears, sniffing, I-can't-talk-right-now kind of sobbing. She just looked at me and said "I wondered if you were to that part yet". Ugh. I couldn't put it down!I haven't finished the book yet. I'm about half way through and as soon as I'm done here, I'm diving back in. I can't tell you the last time I sat in bed and read until 3am. But I can tell you that I empathize with Mack and "The Great Sadness" and the desire to meet with God and really hand Him a piece of my mind. I know what it feels like to throw something through a glass window and scream, "I hate you" at God. I've not experienced what Mack and his family did, but I know that 'moment' all too well. And truth be told, I'm a bit relieved to know that I'm not the only person who had a moment like that.
Two things stick out in my mind right now. I know that the Bible is God-breathed. I know that it's divinely inspired and it is what it is because that's how God said it would be. But in this book, it states (don't know what page and all of that) that some people don't put God in a box, they just put Him in a book. And right now, I'm thinking about that.
Another thing that was neat is how the author referred to grief as having 'clipped wings'. We have the ability to fly but we limit ourselves and become familiar with the cloak of sadness. I so know what that feels like. I have so been there. And the desire to crawl out of that hole and fly again, with the help of God of course, is so awesome. The hope is so awesome. And I guess this book is making me think a bit more about how much God loves us- wow. I mean, holy smokes. It's a LOT.
3 comments:
Wow Lis! I am going to look for that book on Amazon this morning. This is such a great post. Way to get me thinking this early in the a.m. :)
Wow, with a Recommendation like that one, it definately needs to go on my list of must reads.
Definitely one of the very best, thought-provoking books I've ever read!
Glad you're enjoying it too.
Post a Comment